Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Change and the Power of "Why



Is it time to make a change? Change what? Change how? Change Why? Change can be a five letter word that makes us cry out a possible host of four letter words. You fill in the blank. Mine would be, "Help!"

As I write today, I'm thinking why in the world am I writing about change? Who am I to write about it? What do I have to say about change that can help others?

On one hand, I love change. I am wired for change when it comes to my work and the world around me. I thrive in environments the are in constant change. I get bored real easy and that could be dangerous.

On the other hand, when it comes to personal change, I really struggle. After all, THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!

Why do we resist the inevitable? Change is the only constant.  Everything alive is changing. Everything dead is changing too. Think about it. I've heard it said that if you are not changing you are dying. The truth is, even when things die, change doesn't stop.

Seconds are changing to minutes. Minutes are changing to hours. Hours are changing to days. Days are changing to weeks. You get the picture. Time is always changing. Once passed, its gone. Time is a most precious commodity.

The older I get the faster it goes by. I'm almost a half century old. I think I like the sound of forty-nine better. Dang, I'm getting old! These days I'm looking back at my life and asking myself some hard questions. Knowing that I'm not promised tomorrow is fueling the "Why" behind the changes I want to make here and now.

Let me ask you a question: "If today was your last day to live how would you spend it? What would you do? Where would you go? With whom would you spend it? What words would you speak? What relationships would you want restored?"

If you answered those questions with absolute honesty,  I'm sure the thought of them  evoked some kind of emotion. This emotion can be the very fuel you need to ignite a passion to change how you approach each twenty-four hours in a day. If the answers to the most significant questions you can ask yourself are compelling enough to create a strong feeling of discontent, leading to an even stronger desire to change; you may have your "WHY".

Our WHY has to be compelling enough that it causes us to endure the agony and pain of change. Change is never easy. It is possible though. Once we have discovered our why of change it will inform the what and how of change.

The power of our WHY should be like the carrot dangling in front of the horse. No matter what the metaphor it has to be in front of us everyday. It has to influence and evoke our passion and motivation. It has to empower us to get up after we fall. It has to draw you back on course when life pulls you away. Change becomes possible when the power of our WHY is greater than anything, or reason to stay the same.

I would love to hear your stories, get your feedback and comments. Subscribe today so you don't miss out on the conversation. Join the community of strugglers. Share and invite others too.

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL

No comments:

Post a Comment