Saturday, June 20, 2015

Father's Day - The Struggle is Real



First of all, I love my dad. Unfortunately, we've just never had the closest of relationships. He left home when I was 5. Over the years God has healed the hurts and we have a much better relationship now. However, every Father's Day I struggle to find the right card, because most cards don't seem to convey thoughts that are real to me. I usually end up selecting a humorous card. Can you relate? 

Now, as a dad, I look back at how I have parented my own kids. Truth is, I've struggled as a dad. I love my kids and yet there seems to be this distance in the relationship. I've struggled with connecting. I don't know why, it's just the truth. I've been there for my kids, but I'm not sure that I've been totally present. 

Lately, I've really been trying to connect at a deeper and more meaningful level. I've been taking the time to probe my kids heart and listen. This has helped me to pray for them more specifically. 

Anyway, I have shared all this to say, we have to be careful on these type of occasions to make sure that the messages we share don't do more harm than good. Not all the people sitting under the messages this Sunday will be able to relate or celebrate. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment