SHUT MY MOUTH
We've all heard it before: Judge not, that you be not judged. I sure like to remind people of it when they seem to be judging or criticizing me. How about when I am the one doing the judging and criticizing? Sometimes I can't help myself. I can't seem to "Shut My Mouth."
Why do I criticize?
- It's easier to see others imperfections than my own.
- To make myself look better at the expense of others.
- To avoid dealing with my own sin and weaknesses.
What can I do? Shut My Mouth
- Remember that the same measure I use to judge and criticize others will be used to judge me. I'll take mercy over judgment any day.
- Be self aware and remember that I need to deal with my own issues before attempting to confront and correct others. Believe me, I have plenty to work on and work out.
- Remember the old adage, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." In other words, "Shut My Mouth."
Whoever said sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me lied. Words hurt. Words have the power to create and destroy. The next time the oporttunity to judge or criticize presents itself I pray I have the self control to "Shut My Mouth."