Tuesday, December 6, 2011

An Invitation to the Weary

An Invitation to the Weary Matthew 11:28-30 ESV Are you tired from your labor? Are you weighted down with a heavy load? If so, Jesus is issuing you an invitation to come to Him so He can give you rest. The yoke referred to here is what is used to connect oxen together to plough or perform some type of agricultural work. The yoke in itself was not the thing that would tire the ox. It was the load they were pulling and the constant strain of pulling against the other ox yoked together. The same can be true of us. We can pull against and resist the purpose and will of God. Futile, I know, but we do it often and get weary and worn down in the process. Jesus is also referring to the yoke as a form of teaching. The religious teachers of that day were placing the heavy yoke of their self imposed religion on the people. Unfortunately religion still is just as heavy and wearisome today as it was then. Jesus came to set us free and not bind us up. Big difference! Here Jesus invites us to remove the yoke that the world, religion, or others place on us. He welcomes you to cast all, not some, but all you burdens on Him. He promises to give you His rest in return. That my friend is an invitation too good to pass up. May you find comfort and rest in Christ today. Matthew 11:28-30 ESV 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

No comments:

Post a Comment