Wednesday, December 21, 2011

LIFE LESSON FROM A WANDERING SHEEP Psalm 23:1-6 ESV The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (The shepherd knows what I need so I can trust in His provisions. Only He can satisfy my wants and needs. There is no other. He can be trusted!) He makes me lie down in green pastures. (Sheep are stubborn animals and I am no different. I need the guidance of the shepherd to take me to a place of safety, rest, and nourishment. Sheep will keep going and going until the shepherd makes them stop. My shepherd has to exert force in my life to make me stop, rest, and refuel. He is the Good Shepherd!) He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. (The shepherd takes me to the calm streams of His presence so I'm not overtaken by the strong and violent currents found in the river of life. He refreshes, revives, and restores me safely in the shallows. He is a God of restoration and peace!) He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. (Like sheep we all have a tendency to stray from His path. My shepherd will lead me if I yield and submit to His authority and leadership. His path is righteousness and He longs for me to follow Him on it and in it!) Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Even when I walk in the cold, dark, shadows of life/death He assures me of His love and presence and drives out all fear! With the rod of discipline and staff of guidance He will comfort me in the darkest hours and places in life. He is my comfort!) You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (When I'm in the presence of those that seek to harm me whether by choice or not my Shepherd will sustain me. He will come to my aid regardless of how I came to be there. He will tend to my needs; He will validate and affirm me as His own. He will deliver me safely into His care. He will fill me with His goodness and joy until my life once again is overflowing with His presence!) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (With my Shepherd leading, guiding, restoring, comforting, delivering, healing, and freshly refilling me all that could possibly be in the wake of my life is goodness, love, and mercy. No doubt, I’m an imperfect follower nevertheless I choose to follow Him all the days of my life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment